4th Edition of Euro Global Conference on
Food science is the fundamental science and applied science of food; its scope begins to converge with agricultural science and nutrition and directs the advancement of food technology through the scientific aspects of food security and food processing.
Food science is described by the Institute of Food Technologists as "the discipline in which the engineering, biological, and physical sciences are used to study the nature of foods, the causes of deterioration, the principles underlying food processing, and the improvement of foods for the consuming public" Several scientific disciplines are brought together by food science.
Some of the sub disciplines of food science are described below.
Advancements in Food Science:
1) A functional drink that is claimed to be able to help avoid non-communicable chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes. Drinks contain high omega-3 content, natural antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, no saturated or trans fats, no added sugar and low sodium content.
2) Food science advances have seen the likes of meat substitutes based on plants.
3) Cannabidiol has potential health and medical properties, also referred to as CBD. Research studies have found that it can potentially help relieve anxiety and pain, while other studies have even found that in some patients it can help decrease the number of epileptic seizures.
Trends in Food Science:
1) Capsiate is a non-pungent capsaicin analog. Consumed worldwide, capsiate hitherto remains unexplored despite its proven track record as a food ingredient and recent use for its therapeutic profile.Flavour compound can be controlled via regulating microbiota in food fermentation.
2) SERS technique can detect AFs, OTs, ZEN, DON, FB and other mycotoxins in foods.
4) Polyphenol-protein interaction enhances the stability and cell uptake of polyphenols.